A number of important features of the ILS behaviour are discussed, and the student will work through a number of training exercises from the theory book and some selected practical cases. The course is designed for those who have been working within the services for some time, and have good knowledge of other radio technical systems. After this course the student will have a good understanding of how the ILS works, and is ready to receive the On-the-Job training required to perform independent preventive maintenance work on ILS systems.
The course is based on EU Regulation 2017/373 minimum requirements, and covers three out of five taxonomy levels:
Level 1 — Basic knowledge of the subject. It is the ability to remember essential points, to memorise data, and retrieve it.
Level 2 — The ability to understand and to discuss the subject matter intelligently in order to represent and act upon certain objects and events.
Level 3 — Thorough knowledge of the subject and the ability to apply it with accuracy. The ability to make use of the repertoire of knowledge to develop plans and activate them.
SUBJECT 2: GROUND-BASED SYSTEMS — ILS
SUB-TOPIC 1.1: Use of the system
SUB-TOPIC 1.2: Fundamentals of ILS
SUB-TOPIC 1.3: 2F-Systems
SUB-TOPIC 1.4: Ground station architecture
SUB-TOPIC 1.5: Transmitter subsystem
SUB-TOPIC 1.6: Antenna subsystem
SUB-TOPIC 1.7: Monitoring and control subsystem
SUB-TOPIC 1.8: On-board equipment
SUB-TOPIC 1.9: System check and maintenance
See more at the Book Finder .
Knowledge of radio technical systems and trigonometric math.
- Presentation of LOC, GP and Marker Beacon
- The block diagrams of general ILS principles
- ILS modulation theory and generation of CSB and SBO.
- Calculating DDM and CDI.
- The airborne equipment and the operational use of ILS.
- Localiser antenna theory and radiation patterns.
- Beam Bend Potential.
- Equi-Spaced and Non-Linear Arrays
- Glide Path antenna theory and radiation patterns.
- Null Reference, Sideband Reference and M-ARRAY/CEGS
- ICAO definitions and standards.
- Monitoring systems for Localiser Glide Path.
- Flight Inspection of ILS.
- Bend analysing signals.